Friday, May 7, 2010

Ups and Downs and Double Flips...

Time to conclude yet another week of work. I have to say that the ride has been pretty rough this week, with lots of ups and downs and never really knowing if I was going to make it through. But all in all, if the week had been a road trip, I think that my dragons and I would have made it to our final destination--even if it meant we had to take a few detours and an occasional bus to get there.

Emotionally, it was a really hard week, going from days of really great writing, to days where I couldn't come up with a single word I was happy with. I don't understand how my mind can be so cooperative one day and simply refuse to align 5 coherent sentences together the next, but I guess that is something I'm going to have to learn to accept on the road to becoming a more seasoned writer.

The bottom line of these last couple of days for my dragons is still very good. I think I've managed to get myself out of a seriously deep ditch in the story that had been bugging me for quite some time. Kept on turning it over and over in my head and couldn't find a way out. And I knew that the bump was out there waiting for me at page 490 of my MS, that knowledge never left me as I was going through the rewrites and moving up in the chapters... It's kind of like a 40th birthday, you know it's out there waiting for you even when you're only 30, LOL!

Then during the last couple of days, something strange and magical happened and I could definitely feel tremors in the Force, ideas and concepts starting to form in my mind, yet staying right beyond my consciousness. Yesterday morning, it started to come together as I had worked my way through the rewrites up to that infamous page 490... I sat down in front of my screen at around  8am and started to write... and didn't stop until about 6pm on that evening. It was a BLAST! I knew I had other things that I had to do, important things, but I didn't want to lose my momentum. I tried to walk away a couple of times and tackle those other things I had on my to do list, you know basic stuff like BUY FOOD and COOK DINNER, yet didn't manage to stay away for long, and I am happy to report that the infamous pivotal point of the MS has finally been tamed and rewritten!

5 new chapters in all came out of that incredible day. I guess my dragons were really whispering in my ear. I wish they'd do that more often ;) I am truly convinced that the book is 10x stronger now than it was just a day ago, and it gave me a true boost of confidence as to the work I still have to do to get through the current rewrite.

A toast! To the dragons, to the muses, to the incredible joy of a good day of writing! And to my husband too, who had to have hot dogs and fries for his dinner last night and was so happy to see me happy that he didn't even mind :)

No comments:

Post a Comment