Monday, May 10, 2010

Another pivotal chapter done!

Oh, I know what you're going to say.  You worked all day, and all you have to show for it is a single chapter?  Technically, you'd be right, of course: one single chapter is not much for a full day of work.  But in my defense, it's not just "any" chapter--it's a BIG one.  Figuratively and literally speaking, for it's over 8 pages long.  Every single last chapter of the MS from now and until the end of this volume has to be "everything".  It has to be strong, it has to maintain the tension, it has to be focused and sharp and perfect.  No pressure, right?  Which basically means every single last chapter of the MS from now on is going to be a herculean task to rewrite, and is going to go through about twenty extended rewamps during it's creation.  What did I say?  Rewrite?  Ah, yes, you've picked up on that, haven't you?  Well, when I originally wrote the novel, it was supposed to be a one segment story.  After NY and the Pitch&Shop conference, it was strongly recommended to me I make it a trilogy--which means that I have to rewrite the ending... completely.  Yay me, LOL!

What's so special about this chapter, you will ask?  Well, in this chapter, my dragon hero meets the King of Falmeers for the first time--and my dragon badly needs his help, too,  for he's running out of time.  The King has been evoked throughout the book, but never in depth.  Right now, he's only that very powerful monarch that rules over the Falmeers, the race that is told to be the source of one of the two poles of all Magic--nothing less.  So obviously, the King needs to make an entrance.  But I'm nearly at the end of this segment of the story, and I have to keep up the pace until the end not to lose that famous momentum I so carefully whipped up.  Which also means that if I don't want my momentum to deflate like a sad soufflé, I don't have three chapters to devote to meeting the Falmeers and doing character buildup for the King.  It all needs to happen fast.  Every paragraph, every sentence, every word has to count, and anything remotely redundant or slowing down the flow has to be mercilessly chopped away--something I, like most writers, hate doing.

Also, he's a Falmeer, not an Elf, despite the ears.  Which means he can't be just another Elron clone, that hangs out in robes in his living room on top of a tree, while he feasts on vegan burgers and tofu salad as he communes with Mother Nature.  He has to be different, and he has to exude Magic from every one of his Falmeer pores.  He has to eat bacon.  Basically, he has to be a badass.  Sorry, Elron.




So there you have it, that's why I "only" wrote one chapter today.  You think it's easy?  You are welcome to try! :)

3 comments:

  1. One chapter IS hard to rewrite, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Does the Falmeer king wear leather and ride a Harley? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. No he doesn't, but that's an idea. That would definitely make him a badass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo! Those bad boys are so hot now. fans self...

    ReplyDelete