Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A new beginning... literally.

Finally came up with a new beginning to my story I'm actually happy with. Not that there was (in my humble opinion) anything wrong with the old beginning, although editors would disagree with me there. Apparently it's a no-no to start with a character's birth. Since I didn't want to condemn my poor dragons to death by trashcan before they were even born, I yielded and set myself to writing another start to my novel. My dragons were notoriously uncooperative during that part of the rewrite process. Even now, I can feel them glaring at me behind my back when they think I'm not paying attention.

At 3pm, I then resolutely put my pen aside, and tackled my second task of the afternoon: re-seasoning my cast-iron skillet. I bought these beautifully well marbled thick cut new york strip steaks earlier this week, and wanted to do them justice. Well, let's just say that this part of the day didn't go quite as smoothly as the rewrite. I didn't have shortening at hand, so I used peanut oil--and ended up with a sticky coat of shiny goo. Ack!

I caved in and went to buy some Crisco, and then proceeded to scrub the goo out of my pan, making it even more necessary to re-season it. It's now baking upside down in my 350 oven for an hour. I just hope I'll be able to achieve a proper (if thin) seasoning for tonight's dinner.

I totally blame the dragons, of course. I just knew they'd get me back for zapping their grand entrance scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment